Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Investigating the Criminal Justice Major

As a student currently in Letters and Sciences, I am frequently thinking about potential majors.  Of course, I browse through the departmental websites, research the course requirements, and talk with my academic adviser, but I think it is also valuable to talk to students already in the major.  One major that I am interested in is Criminology and Criminal Justice. I am interested in Criminology and Criminal Justice because I think that is a very important aspect of American society that I want to learn more about, and I think it can be improved.  While I am taking CCJS100-Introduction to Criminal Justice this semester and enjoying it, I wanted to get some information on other classes in the major from a student.  Here is part of my interview of a Senior student in the Criminology and Criminal Justice major, which discusses his favorite and least favorite required class in the major. In the interview, I also asked his opinion on blended classes in relation to the Criminal Justice Major



I asked him about blended courses because I believe that technology should increasingly be used for classes like they are in JOUR150. Blended classes are advantageous because they allow students to become more familiar with technology and methods of sharing information, such as twitter and blogging. The skills developed by being in a blended class are essential in many other fields, including criminal justice. The criminal justice system relies heavily on technology and I think it would be a natural connection to have blended criminal justice classes.

1 comment:

  1. This post was pretty interesting to read. Although it was more on a personal note, I think your decision to research the major is smart. The audioboos were of nice quality,but maybe some sort of professor or adviser would have given a nice take on the subject.Most interesting to me was your question of whether a blended course would work with criminology because not all majors can support the blended technology template, but it is interesting to see which majors can.

    ReplyDelete